Many people are apprehensive about using sales scripts. They feel that scripting is not effective because it sounds rehearsed, and hence, artificial. Some believe that scripting does not take into account the fact that every individual has his own unique personality.
At ActionCOACH, when clients are convinced about the effectiveness of using these, they see their bottom line increasing, and converts are made.
Here’s how to get started.
The four main areas to consider when writing a script are:
- Target Market: The business owner must be very clear about who he is trying to reach.
- Process: The process is vital because some of the more expensive products and services may require several steps before a sale is made.
- Urgency: The prospects must be given a reason to act immediately. For example: Buy now and save $10.
- Customer Focus: The sales script needs to be focused towards the customer.
Within the script itself you then need to look at:
- Greet the customer: It is crucial to get this right as it will set the tone for what follows.
- Outline the reason for the sales call /visit and get permission to continue: For Example, “Would it be OK if I outlined the reason for my call today?” This step applies when the salesperson is the one making the first contact.
- Ask open-ended questions: The salesperson should ask questions that can’t be answered by yes or no.
- Get agreement: It is important to get feedback from the customer. He should ask rhetorical questions that will get them to say yes. For example, “So it sounds like you’d benefit from A, B and C, that’s pretty good, isn’t it?”
- Deal with objections: Dealing with objections is part of the sales process. The salesperson should get the customer to elaborate and acknowledge that what they’re saying is true for them at the time and then come up with some standard replies to known objections.
- Close and take the next step: For example: “Would you like to pay by check or credit card?”
- Use transition phrases/temperature checking phrases like: “How does this fit with what you had in mind?” “So from what I understand, you want A, B and C. Is there anything else?”
If a business owner follows these simple steps, he can come up with a winning sales script. More importantly, this gives his entire sales team a framework to follow, which means the customers will be treated in a like-minded fashion regardless of who speaks to them. This, in turn, enhances the perception of excellent customer service. This will also help new team members become productive much more quickly.
Brad Sugars founded the brand Action International in 1993 when he realized there was a disconnect between business advice and implementation. The answer was Action! Brad Sugars created a business coaching company so that business owners throughout the world can realize their goals in business. Today the company is known as ActionCOACH. To learn more about business, visit Brad Sugars Review blog!